There’s never a good time for a $900 smartphone to explode in your face. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a worst time — and Samsung’s probably found it.
The company is set to recall its Galaxy Note7 phones following reports that the devices can overheat and explode. A child was reportedly burned by a Note7 this weekend, and one man says his jeep was incinerated when his phone combusted. Airlines are asking customers not to use Note7s while flying.
It’s a nightmare scenario for Samsung, which has built a reputation as the premium smartphone brand next to Apple. The company has to figure out what to do with 2.5 million Note7 phones, and it’s doing so in the middle of the iPhone 7 launch.